Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Spell-less all the way (Variant Classes)


Here are some short “spell-less” variants for the bard (inspired by Castles & Crusades), the druid (from Diablo II, I guess) and the paladin (idem) to make company to the excellent Spell-less Ranger from KQ #11.

I know that there’s already a similar variant for the paladin, from the Advanced Player’s Guide – the Warrior of the Holy Light. But I’ve been using the variant below in my campaigns before the advent of the APG.

Without further ado, here they’re:

The Warrior-Poet (alternate bard)
BAB/HD: as Fighter
Skills: Remove Spellcraft
Class Features:
Remove cantrips, spellcasting and spells
Add a combat bonus feat at levels 4th, 13th and 16th

The Shapeshifter (alternate druid)
BAB/HD: as Fighter
Skills: Remove Spellcraft
Class Features:
Remove orisons, spellcasting, spontaneous casting and spells
Add Fast Movement and Rage (number of rounds per day equal to 3 + Con + level) at 1st
One Rage Power at 5th, 7th, 11th, and 19th
Tireless Rage at 17th

The Champion (alternate paladin)
Skills: Remove Spellcraft
Class Features:
Remove spellcasting and spells
Add...
Sacred Light (Su) at 5th level: when a paladin uses channel positive energy, he can also choose to illuminate the affected area (as if by the light spell) for the next minute. At 8th level, it works as a daylight spell.
Divine Guard (Su) at 6th level: a paladin can expend one use of lay on hands, as a swift action, to gain the benefits of protection from evil. At 11th level a paladin can expend two uses of lay on hands to gain the benefits of magic circle against evil (centered on himself).
Aura of Protection (Su) at 9th level: as an immediatiate action a paladin can expend two uses of lay on hands to grant a +4 deflection bonus to AC of all allies at 10 feet for 1 round. At 15th level all allies and the paladin also gain energy resistance 10 to all allies.
Aura of Renewal (Su) at 10th level: every time the paladin or an ally confirms a critical threat against an evil foe at 10 feet, the paladin recovers one use of lay on hands.
Aura of Faith is gained at 12th level.
Aura of Holyness (Su) at 14th level: a paladin is immune to death spells and spell-like abilities. Each ally within 10 feet of her gains a +4 morale bonus on saving throws against death effects.

4 comments:

  1. I like these. I never really liked the spells for rangers especially, and these add nice options for the others too. Me like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Glad you liked! I hope they're useful (and fun) in your games.

    ReplyDelete
  3. do you still write on this blog, if so did you ever consider officially publishing this archetypes to something like d20pfsrd?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I'm glad you were interested in the post! Of late, a few things have kept me busy (the good news is that one of them is that I'm writing for a DCC RPG zine), but I hope to post more in the future ;-)

      It is so hard for me to find time to update this blog alone that I don't see myself posting in other places.

      Seeing this post reminded that I have to play some Pathfinder. I miss that game.

      Delete