Monday, October 24, 2011

More classes for Pathfinder Lite


Some months ago I wrote what I called my Pathfinder Lite – a small hack of the Core Rulebook to allow an easier game experience for beginners (or for old Gamemasters like me that want less complexity but also love Paizo’s material). Basically, I integrated skills into each class (like Castles & Crusades) and pre-selected feats for the first 5 levels of the Cleric, Fighter, Rogue and Wizard classes.

The original idea was to introduce this version of Pathfinder to my cousin and his friends (they had played only Swords & Wizardry so far) as an entry-level game. Unfortunately, that never happened. (Blasted online computer games!) However, it didn’t stop me from tinkering with Pathfinder Lite.

Here are two more classes for it. All the choices below were made in an attempt to reinforce the classical vision of each core class (my vision at least).

If you have any doubts, please check the original article (or ask me!).


The Barbarian

Level
Class Features
1
Fast movement, Rage, Alertness (as the feat)
2
Uncanny Dodge, Self Sufficient (as the feat)
3
Trap Sense +1, Power Attack (as the feat)
4
+2 Constitution
5
Improved Uncanny Dodge, Extra Rage (as the feat)

  • Note that Barbarians don’t gain Rage Powers. I just don’t like them and traded both Rage Powers (at 2nd and 4th) for the Self Sufficient feat at 2nd. As most rage powers are roughly equal to a “half feat”, that should do it.

The Druid

Level
Class Features
1
Animal Companion, Nature Sense, Orisons, Spells Wild Empathy, Combat Casting (as the feat)
2
Woodland Stride
3
Trackless Step, Toughness (as the feat)
4
Resist Nature’s Lure, +2 to Wisdom or Constitution
5
Wild Shape (1/day), Nature Spell (as the feat)

  • Druids are hard to balance, as they’re already a terrific class, so I placed Wild Shape at 5th level as benchmark power (but I let them choose where their +2 Ability Score bonus goes at 4th).
  • Animal Companion: let’s simplify this. Your Animal Companion is a common medium animal (a wolf, a small lion or bear, a giant lizard etc.). It has HD and saves equal to the Druid. It has AC 14 (+2 Dex, +2 natural), which the natural armor bonus increasing to +4 at 4th level. Its BAB and CMB are equal to the Druid’s level + 2, its CMD equals its CMB + 2; it has one natural attack that deals 1d8 + 2 points of damage. At 3rd level it either increases the damage to +4 or add trip. The Animal Companion HPs are equal to Druid’s +4. At 5th level, it gains Evasion. Forget tricks, link, share spells etc. The Druid orders and the Animal Companions follow. Simple as that. Leave Handle Animal checks to trained normal animals. The Animal Companion has the same skill bonus as the Druid for tasks that the Gamemaster deems thematic with it.

2 comments:

  1. Great idea and good work on the classes. I'm working on my own kit bashed rules around Pathfinder, Castles & Crusades and Swords & Wizardry. It seems like there's a small movement around Pathfinder for a simpler and quicker set of rules. Can't wait to get my hands on the Beginner's Box.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Chuck!

    As much as I wanted a true Pathfinder "Lite Version" I doubt we'll see something simpler than the Beginnner Box (whose few changes, however, are extremely positive in my view). I believe that investing now in a second version of Pathfinder would be a mistake by Paizo (Essentials, I'm looking at you).

    But that can't stop us from tinkerin' with the rules :)

    ReplyDelete